-->

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Miracle #1


My backpack has returned!!! On Friday, my backpack was stolen while we were profiling the beach. We were a bit puzzled by the occurrence since we were on a deserted road, had only heard one vehicle pass (it hadn't stopped), and were never more than 20 m from the spot where three different bags were sitting. Nevertheless, when we took a break after a couple hours, the backpack was unquestionably gone. Most disappointingly, Robyn and I both had our iPods in the pack, along with Robyn's camera. The rest was water bottles and an assortment of gear like sunscreen, some rain gear, and my knife. Today, however, my backpack was returned. Not sure where or how it was found, but one of the BICA workers had promised to make inquiries after it was taken and had located it. The bag was definitely sifted through and, although most the gear was returned, the electronics and knife are still missing. However, we're viewing just getting back as much as we did as a blessing. 

I have officially completed one more phase of my divemaster training. I have now assisted with an Open Water course. Three observations from this experience:
-First, the new divers will improve by leaps and bounds. I'm talking drastic improvements in skill and confidence in the space of a half hour surface interval between their first and second open water dives. 
-Second, they will have any and every problem you have ever and never considered or even dreamt of. Things that never worried you for an instant will appear as a matter of life or death to them. 
-Third, when setting up kit/gear, expect to run with an answer like, "There were four weights on my belt yesterday," and translate from that and your own memory how many pounds each student in the class of eight needs. That, or they'll come to you holding a belt you know to have the right number of pounds and say, "I think I have too much weight, I only had three weights yesterday."

Heading to the third open water dive with a full boat of
new divers. 
The final festivities of Carnival on Utila.
Another observation, holding a parade on a road just
wide enough for two golf carts to pass, may not be the
best idea every.




















This week was also Utila's carnival which wrapped up yesterday with a parade and, I believe, an island-wide drinking party. I made the mistake of trying to leave the dive center just as the parade was in full swing. Took me 15 minutes to make it from UDC to the first road where I could cut up (usually long enough to walk all the way home). Honestly, I'm not certain which direction the parade was actually moving since some trucks and floats were heading one way but horses and a drum corps were going the opposite...

No comments:

Post a Comment