-->

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Brains!

No, not my brains (although we all know that I have plenty) and not zombie gastronomy, either. Brains as in neurobiology. 

I visited a family friend's lab at Salk Institute yesterday. Soon Ok works in the peptide biology division at the institute. Her lab is currently examining the long-term effects of adolescent drinking. In short, you get the rats drunk repeatedly and then examine where certain products have built up in the brain. Not only did I get to learn about Salk and working in a research institute like it, I got the chance to actually try manipulating some of the cross-sections of brains that are mounted onto slides (an experienced lab technician makes this look deceptively simple) in order to stain and examine specific regions under a microscope. I also have an aptitude for putting together "the hardest puzzle no one ever wants to solve" (as described by one of the lab staff). On my very first try, I was able to correctly sort over 30 thin slices of a brain into the correct order. All the same, and as interesting as the results of the research are, I don't think I'll be switching my focus to neurobiology any time soon.
Two of the main lab buildings at Salk. The institute is perched up
on the bluffs of La Jolla near UCSD. Absolutely gorgeous location.
The results of my work sorting sections of a brain and
mounting eight slices onto a microscope slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment